With more than 40 years in business, Mel Pirchesky has a very diverse and, in many ways, unparalleled track record. His accomplishments include being an effective money raiser, a successful CEO, turnaround specialist, and an entrepreneurial coach and marketer.
His experience includes:
- raising and investing over $90 million of equity in the western PA region, with all but $500,000 of this having come solely from high net worth individuals;
- coaching hundreds of entrepreneurs on how to much more effectively articulate their company's value proposition and how to understand 'to the depth of their bones' complex financial concepts;
- being a CEO of three successful manufacturing companies, a medical device company and an importer/distributor of supplies to commercial food operations;
- successfully turning around four companies; increasing the net income of two of those by more than $1M each;
- generating creative solutions associated with buying and selling dozens of small to medium-sized businesses; and
- consulting to more than a few hundred entrepreneurially-owned companies focused on increasing profits.
As validated by the Pittsburgh Business Times 2012 list of venture capital firms, Mel, President of Pittsburgh-based Eagle Ventures, has likely raised more equity from angel investors than anyone else in the Pittsburgh area.
- Brings together potentially great opportunities with prospective angel investors who have a challenge of trying to find them.
- Provides cost-effective financing for entrepreneurs that they would not otherwise have access to.
- Provides the entrepreneur with a choice of investor-advisors for Board representation who have built their own businesses.
- Works with investors and the entrepreneur to maximize the likelihood that the value-add of their opportunity will be realized.
Mel delivers high impact coaching to entrepreneurs, which allows them to much more effectively address their equity fundraising challenges. Mel's coaching also applies equally, but in a unique and impactful way, to his client's product/service positioning challenges.
On occasion, Mel also raises equity for selected 'great opportunities'. He creatively works with his clients to formulate market positioning that allows them to articulate clear distinctions for whatever they are selling.
He uses both out-of-the-box and basic, experience-based processes to more effectively resolve their
strategic financial, leadership, operational,
sales/marketing, and acquisition opportunities.
Mel has a long-standing reputation of professionalism with his partners and clients. He has an extremely wide range of relationships that enable him to leverage the success and experience of other entrepreneurs.
He has been a financial strategist, specializing in deal evaluation and structuring for more than 40 years; a lead investor in a significant number of deals; and CEO, CEO advisor, Board member, or a Board observer in a variety of industries. Areas of experience include equity fundraising, medical devices, high technology, venture capital, and manufacturing and process automation.
His experience has led to a deep understanding of and appreciation for the strategic financial aspects of 'deal-making,' creating, financing, and growing businesses from an entrepreneurial perspective.
Mel has two community commitments in life besides his family and career. He is an organizer of a nonprofit that is creating an entrepreneurial enhancement process for local entrepreneurs. This is a collaborative organization supported by the leadership of 25 other entrepreneurial-support organizations located in the Pittsburgh region. The Collaborative is in the process of raising a $6 million endowment, the earnings from which will fund a multiple-session entrepreneurial education curriculum and two different business plan competitions, a technology and a non-technology competition.
Mel's second lifetime commitment is to create a level playing field for minority youngsters. He manifests this by strongly promoting the expansion of the Laurel Highlands Council of the Boy Scouts of America's Scoutreach Program. This Program is focused on bringing Scouting’s character-building curriculum to really hard-to-reach youngsters who, relative to most other children, do not grow up on a level playing field.
Mel was a tax partner with Arthur Young & Company, a Big 8 accounting firm and a predecessor to Ernst & Young. His father, two brothers and he are Eagle Scouts. Eagle Ventures is named in honor of them and their achievements.
"You are an exceptional
CEO coach, outstanding at what you do. I don't make that statement
based on comparison, but because of what you have done for me.
Strangely, it was difficult in the beginning for me to know your
value....it was hard to comprehend.
Others said, 'he listens...he is tenacious...you
won't be able to define what he does because it is created
through the process of working together...Mel's approach is
to get to people, then connect to others.'
I have had such success utilizing your
approaches that I have become a disciple. Just today, I networked
my way to a great entrepreneur with great prospects for growth;
based primarily on the questions you suggested that I ask.
Thanks for what you have done thus far.
I am enthused about the future".
Entreprenuer raising money for
a large SBIC